Monday, October 10, 2011

Finding Out What Matters Most

I appreciate the lessons learned and relearned throughout every day, week, month, semester, and year. I've always been the type of person (I think that most people are this way) that really loves the beginning of something new.
Take the beginning of a new semester for example. There is the onset of boredom that comes near the end of the summer when you have way too much time on your hands and you just can't wait to get back into the swing and busyness of things. Somewhere down that semester you wish that you had those long summer days back when you weren't committed to too many things for you to have enough time to complete.
I've hit that point I think.
But even as I write this, I've got a grin on my face. It's that grin that says "bring it on baby." As I mentioned earlier, lessons are learned time and time again. The stress and anxiety of having way too much to do for the little time that I've got pushed me to the point where I just had to sit down, prioritize what is really most important, work my tail off, and just let the rest of it go. Be gone baby!
It is refreshing from time to time to be pushed to that limit. To be pushed to the point where you're forced to take things back to the basics. A whole week of skipped classes so that I could participate in the final week of the New Testament Project that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is filming was well worth it, but came at the price of missing my classes. I just couldn't skip out on what I see as a once in a lifetime opportunity. Now it's taking work off on Monday and Wednesday mornings to catch up on schoolwork, campus food, quick workouts somewhere in the day to replenish some energy, and staying late in the library. I can do it--at least for a little while.
I am grateful though. For good teachers who help me get caught up again, strengthened focus, and a proper perspective that goes like this: God, family, health, and school/work.

2 comments:

  1. You have such a great attitude! Hope everything goes well. I'm going to try to prioritize my life more like yours...right now my priorities look more like: caffeine, caffeine, homework, husband, work, caffeine. Yup. Work in progress.
    Anyway, I'll look for you in the movie! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid my priorities are more like Regan's! I am going to try to prioritize better. You've inspired me, too. It's so easy, in situations like yours where there's something that takes us away for awhile to feel overwhelmed at what's there on our return. Good job avoiding that and keeping balanced (exercise!!!)

    ReplyDelete