Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Remember September 11th 2001

I was sleepy and had just gotten into the back seat of the car of the girls who I carpooled with. It seemed like any other day. I had gotten up early in the morning to attend seminary (an early gospel study class for youth of the LDS faith)and was about to make the 30 minute trip to school. We turned on the radio and the usual goofballs that control early morning talk radio were talking about something happening on the other side of the country. Looking back at the things they said, they jokes they made about what was happening, I wonder if they are ashamed of the way they handled that morning. I'm sure they had no idea about what was really unfolding. Neither did I. As usual I fell asleep on the way to school.
When I arrived at school, news was being shared in the corners of rooms. It was being tossed through the air. It was in our classroom and all around us. Remembering it now, I wish our teachers would have turned on the television and let us students see what was happening. Nothing we learned that day was remembered but we could have learned so much from the attack that was occurring on our country.
I remember nothing after that except brief pieces of news that I caught. Seeing a plane smouldering in a Pennsylvania field. Another smashed through the wall at the Pentagon. Two buildings that once reached to the sky--now mounds of debris. I remember seeing people falling through the air. Jumping from the towers. What did they think? How did they feel before they jumped?
The country was in absolute shock.
Ten years have now passed. Life, it seems, has gone on as normal. Do we remember as we should? Will we continue to remember? I hope that we do but I will not presume I can answer the questions I gave.

No comments:

Post a Comment